Saturday, May 06, 2006

Kirilov denied title by judges in split vote

By JE Grant

WORCESTER, Mass. --- Luis Perez, 24-1 (15 KOs), Nicaragua, 114 ½, retained his IBF junior bantamweight title with a horrendously scored 12-round decision over Dimitri Kirilov, 28-3 (10 KOs), Russia, 114 ½ Saturday night.

In a bout that was virtually dominated by Kirilov from the opening bell, yet another IBF-related matter is the subject of controversy.

Kirilov mixed sharp right hands with left hooks over the top of southpaw Perez’ right hands, befuddled the titlist. Rounds 1 through 7 were virtual clinics, as Kirilov scored from various angles and was able to escape numerous punches from Perez.

Round 8 started much the same until Perez dug a right hook to the body and followed with a hook to the head. Kirilov dropped on his right side but rose immediately and returned to the attack.

Perez was able to outwork the tiring Russian in rounds 9 and 10 until, though both rounds were competitive and could have easily been scored for either fighter.

Kirilov closed strongly in rounds 11 and 12 and seemed to be pulling away in the lead.

Scoring of the bout was, charitably, unusual. Paul Barry 117-110 Kirilov; Mike Ancona 115-113 Perez; and David Hess 114-113 Perez. JEBoxing scored the bout 116-111 Kirilov.

The scoring marred an otherwise well-fought bout that featured solid professional fighters who were prepared for 12 hard rounds.

It seems that everything the IBF touches of late is tainted by controversy.

It won’t be long before people start asking hard questions.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

JE-I am a bit bothered by this one,and not for the reasons you may think.JE...I had Kirrolv winning 7-5,but with the knockdown...I had it a DRAW.Now *scratches his head* I know that many knowledgeable people had Kirrolv winning,and by a comfortable margin,and I think that is certainly reasonable.But I thought my score of a draw is as well! Nobody likes beating up on incompetent or corrupt judges more than me JE,but I may be in the minority on this one here.I gave one of the early rounds to Perez,and I believe 8-9-and-10,and either 11 or 12.(I thought 11 & 12 were very close and could have gone either way,and I gave one to Perez.) With the knockdown - Bingo,a draw.I could even justify a 6-6 114-113 win,but that would be the ABSOLUTE most.(I don't know HOW the one guy could have had 115-113???) Anyways,there were a few close rounds that I gave to Perez...

I admittedly wasn't watching it REALLY closely though.Perhaps I will watch it again...???

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Correction-I gave ONE of the early or mid-rounds to Perez,but had him coming on 8-12.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JE-At issue with me here,is HOW did they ARRIVE at their scores? Unless a second viewing tells me otherwise,I believe the manner in which I arrived at my score to be justifiably reasonable.But no doubt that Kirrolv won almost every single round between 1-7.Were a few of these rounds given to Perez??? That I can't justify.Neither can I the 115-113 scorecard.For me the difference was a gave a few close rounds to Perez,and with the knockdown had it a draw.But I just so happen to (unintentionally) end up at the extreme end of the (reasonable) spectrum.Kirrolv won at the VERY least 6 or 7 rounds.This guy only gave 5 rounds to Kirrolv.That is 'out of the spectrum' and disturbing...

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey JE...Give me some feedback on this one here...I'm feeling a bit 'funny' about this one...A bit unsure and uncomfortable...Go ahead...I have my blindfold and cigarette,fire away and put me out of my misery...(LOL)

P.S-I WILL watch this fight one more time...

5:30 PM  
Blogger JE Boxing said...

No way was this one close. Kirilov landed the cleaner and far more meaningful blows. His defense was superb minus the solid knockdown for Perez. He commanded the pace of the fight. And, again, except for the knockdown, his aggression was the most effective --- by far. He wins in all categories of scoring in my book. This one shouldn't have been scored closely.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn JE...*Scratches head* I will watch it again,but VERY closely this time.It is VERY rare that we would be almost 'worlds apart' on something...

P.S-I HAVE just heard of a few reputable people that either had it very close or a draw.But let me get back...

6:53 PM  
Blogger JE Boxing said...

Occasionally that will happen -- though not often (LOL).

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright JE...I'm getting ready to watch this 'bad boy' right now as we speak.I can't honestly remember this ever really happening before.At least while I was sober...

*Presses play on the remote and stirs drink*

(LOL)

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay JE.I feel much better.I still had it a bit closer than you,but upon second viewing,I had it 8-4,and with the knockdown--115-112 for Kirrilv.

I kinda blew one round the first time.It must have been the one where I got up to take a leak.I'm usually pretty could at 'timing' this BETWEEN rounds (I ain't no 'rookie' JE!) But I believe I also started 'migrating' and 'meandering' towards the kitchen to 'build' a sandwich as well...(LOL)

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typo-Good not 'could'.

:-)

10:08 PM  
Blogger JE Boxing said...

Glad you saw the light. LOL

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...So was I.

(LOL)

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Support independent publishing: buy this book on Lulu. Purchase Professional Boxing tickets from Coast to Coast Tickets. We have your sports needs covered with New York Yankees tickets, Boston Red Sox tickets and premium Bengals tickets. Check out our Black Eyed Peas tickets and Broadway show tickets.

Powered by Blogger

Site Feed
free web counters
ISP Access Providers